Youthlaw Pre-Court AVITH Program, Youthlaw
The program is based on an integrated model of service. The Family Violence Lawyer and Youth Family Violence Practitioner work together with the young person to identify and respond to their legal and non-legal needs.
Lawyer can provide:
- Legal advice
- Representation in Court (Sunshine, Werribee and Melbourne Children’s Court only)
- Warm referral to appropriate legal service
Youth Family Violence Practitioner can provide:
- Safety planning and risk assessment
- Referrals to relevant support services
- Specialist case work support to any existing support services
- Regular contact with the young person
- Support to the young person in Court if required
Program is currently being evaluated by the Centre for Innovative Justice
Inner Melbourne and Western region (LGAs covered: Maribyrnong, Melbourne, Hobson’s Bay, Moonee Valley, Wyndham, Brimbank)
- Young people under 18 using violence in the home.
- Young people based in Inner Melbourne/Western region.
- Youthlaw will *not* generally assist when there are related Child Protection Matters.
Youthlaw encourage referrals from:
- Workers engaged with young people or their families
- Self-referrals from young people
- Children’s Court, Sunshine Magistrates, Werribee Magistrates
- Victoria Police
How to refer: Young person can contact Youthlaw directly on 9113 9500 Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm. External referrals can email through details of the young person, including any relevant family violence risk assessments and Intervention Orders (if applicable) to: FVprogram@youthlaw.asn.au