- This event has passed.
RCLDS Autism Training for Support Staff and Organisations (Preston)
Monday May 6, 2019, 9:30 am - Tuesday May 7, 2019, 5:00 pmFree
This workshop is only available to residential care workers in Victoria.
All participants can expect to develop the core knowledge to work successfully with people with autism, and in many cases, other complex needs, such as high levels of anxiety, difficulties with communication, and challenging behaviour.
- Prevalence of Autism in disability support
- Impact on individuals, families, and support needs
- Understanding Autism as a spectrum
- History of Autism
- Characteristics of Autism
- Signs and Symptoms
- Neural bases of Autism
- – Neural morphology
- – Brain-Behaviour Interactions
- Quiz in levels of autism
- Role play
- Use of screening tools
- Intellectual disability (ID and Autism)
- Comorbid conditions commonly seen in Autism (e.g., anxiety, depression, psychosis)
- Common health problems
– Physical health
– Mental health
- Improving quality of life
- Identifying need to work with professionals such as Psychologists, Occupational Therapists, Speech Therapists, Dieticians, Disability training psychiatrists
- Case studies and examining strategies for support staff to assist their clients
– Non-verbal ASD
– High functioning ASD
- Focus of activities
- Building reflective practice
- Strategies for support staff that improve communication, social interaction, community participation.
· Building a person centred plan
Who should attend: Any residential care worker or workers supporting young people in out of home care.