RCLDS – Culturally Competent Youth Practice (CALD) – Rowville
Wednesday February 20, 2019, 9:15 am - 4:45 pmFree
This training is only available for residential care workers in Victoria.
Aim of training
This course explores the essential skills and knowledge for effective work with young people from migrant and refugee backgrounds and will improve the confidence and capacity of participants to provide a culturally inclusive and responsive service. The course covers the cultural competency framework, and the settlement experiences and needs of young people from migrant and refugee backgrounds.
Module 1: Culturally Competent Youth Practice
- Explore concepts of culture and the cultural competency framework
- Reflect on cross-cultural interactions and communication skills
- Identify and apply cultural competency practice strategies to support effective work with young people
Module 2: Young People and Settlement
- Identify key pre-settlement experiences for young people, particularly those with a refugee background
- Explore factors which impact on good settlement for young people
- Identify and apply strategies for supporting good settlement