- This event has passed.
RCLDS – Self-Care: Detecting and preventing compassion fatigue and vicarious trauma – CBD (RCLSC20200414)
Tuesday April 14, 2020, 9:30 am - 4:30 pmFree
This workshop has been postponed until further notice
This training is only available to residential care workers in Victoria.
Practitioners in the child and family welfare sector are at a higher risk for vicarious trauma, a cumulative process which can creep up, changing our attitudes, worldviews, and ultimately cutting short many promising careers. Some participants who have completed this workshop discovered they were actually more affected by their clients’ trauma than they had ever previously realised.
Supporting clients, whether they are adults, adolescents or young children, can be taxing both physically and mentally. It is understandable that at times workers will feel overburdened by their role assisting vulnerable clients with multiple issues. Being mindful of this is a necessary step in preventing ‘burnout’.
- Learn advanced techniques to manage professional boundaries with clients
- Spot the early signs of vicarious traumatisation
- Differentiate vicarious trauma from other kinds of stress
- Learn techniques for managing the impact of constant exposure to trauma, including ways to communicate your needs
- Understand resistance, resilience and recovery
Tea and coffee facilities available and lunch provided.
Registration: To ensure your spot in this session, please enrol above.