- This event has passed.
RCLDS Funded Training – Supporting Practitioners Working with LGBTI Children,Young People (RCLLGBTIQ20190807)
Wednesday August 7, 2019, 9:30 am - 4:30 pmFunded
Understanding what the letters in LGBTIQ mean; access to research and information about the health status and risks of LGBTIQ youth; increased empathy and understanding about living as LGBTIQ in a heteronormative world; strategies for working well with LGBTIQ youth and the best ways to support their wellbeing.
This professional development session includes a mix of information delivery, discussion and activities leading to transformative learning. A resource list will be provided.
- Developed knowledge and comfort with key terminology around sexual orientation, gender expression and gender identity
- Increased understanding of healthy child development as it relates to sexual orientation and gender identity, while differentiating between these two development processes
- Improved ability to recognise and respond to instances of anti-gay bias, anti-transgender bias and heterosexism within work environments and in a child’s living environment
- Understand the importance of environmental cues and affirming behaviours in promoting safe and affirming environments for all youth
- Knowledge of legal and professional responsibilities in regards to protecting the safety and wellbeing of LGBTI young people in care
Coffee and Tea facilities available and lunch provided
Registration: To ensure your spot in this session, please enrol above.