- This event has passed.
Understanding and Providing Support to Children and Young People with Autism – CBD (CALASD20200421)
Tuesday April 21, 2020, 9:30 am - 4:30 pmFunded
This workshop has been postponed until further notice
Understanding evidence -based strategies and providing support to children and young people with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
Aim of training
The aim of the training to provide knowledge and skill development is to increase staff capacity to work successfully with children and young people with ASD. The training will have a practical emphasis and be delivered as interactive workshops where participants learn new skills and practice them in collaborative learning activities.
The full day PD introduces key concepts in understanding the diagnosis, allied health responses that work to increased capacity building across the spectrum, and evidence based approaches that provide effective interventions to support people with ASD.
- Prevalence of Autism in disability support
- Understanding Autism as a spectrum
- History of Autism
- Understanding the diagnosis
- Working with the different presentations of ASD from non -verbal and intellectually disabled to high functioning ASD
- Understanding sensory disfunction and ASD
- Understanding communication frustration and ASD
- Tony Attwood Australian Story reflection activity. Case studies are provided examining strategies for support staff to assist their clients linking theory to practice.
- Examples of the use of social stories to assist in building skills and managing anxiety and creating a social story to support community participation. Participants will create their own social learning story for a client they are currently working with to assist.
- Functional Behaviour Analysis activity is created to support understanding of function of behaviour and how to address behaviours of concern with positive replacement behaviour.
Please use this link to check your organisations membership status: https://www.cfecfw.asn.au/members/
Tea and coffee facilities available and lunch provided.
Please note: Payment is required prior to the training date
Registration: To ensure your spot in this session, please enrol above.
- We will issue a full refund if we cancel the course or reschedule the course.
- Participants who withdraw more than 15 days before course commencement will receive a full refund.
- If you cancel less than 14 days prior to the agreed start date, we will be unable to issue a refund.
- Course and name transfers may be made if vacancies exist.
- If there are extenuating circumstances for your cancellation, please contact 9614 1577 or email the training coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.