Outcomes, Practice and Evidence Network
The theme of the 2020 OPEN Symposium is: Working to achieve better outcomes for children and families in a rapidly changing environment.
Our 2020 sub-themes are:
- Adapting to technologies/remote delivery
- Building the evidence base in a rapidly changing environment
- Early intervention
- Successful collaborations
The 2020 OPEN Symposium will be held as a week-long celebration of our achievements in creating and using evidence during this challenging time.
This year, multiple online presentations will be held every day from Monday 26 October to Friday 30 October.
The event will be held online via Zoom.
OPEN recently launched its online portal. This is a first-of-a-kind for our sector and we couldn’t be more excited.
The OPEN Portal is a place to learn, explore and discover the best in evidence-informed practice across our child, youth and family sector. Deep dive into case studies from local projects. Take a tour through the Outcomes Journey and discover how to integrate evidence into your programs and practice. Find the OPEN blog, and all about upcoming and past OPEN events.
The video below is a guide to what you will find on the Portal.
Visit the OPEN Portal here: www.outcomes.org.au
OPEN is the Outcomes, Practice and Evidence Network
OPEN connects workers, researchers and policy-makers across Victoria’s child, youth and family services system to strengthen our evidence base and improve outcomes for Victorian children and families.
OPEN is here to:
- Bridge the gap between research and practice in child and family services
- Support the child and family sector to create, share and use the best available evidence
- Strengthen our shared knowledge about what works for children and families
Through regular events, networking opportunities and easy to access research and evaluation guidance, OPEN helps you understand why and how you make a difference in the work that you do every day.
OPEN is part of a learning system
The Victorian Government is reforming the child and families services system. One part of this reform calls on the child and family services sector to operate as a learning system – where services are backed by evidence, and are continually re-evaluated and refined to improve the outcomes for children and families. OPEN is part of the learning system and supported by the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) to apply the learning system principles and promote cross-sector research and evaluation initiatives aimed at addressing the Children and Families Research Strategy 2017-2019 research priorities.
So how can OPEN help you?
OPEN Data Projects
If you have data that needs to be put to good use, OPEN will make it work!
OPEN is offering a free service to members that will provide advice and recommendations on the quality and usefulness of your program data. This service will help you streamline data collection and management processes and support evidence-informed practice.
If you are a DHHS funded organisation or project and have limited resources get in touch with Michele Lonsdale today.
The work carried out and the report produced by the OPEN project has been a huge support…. A community program being able to source free expert support such as this is extremely valuable; it builds capability in evaluation and supports the development of evidence-based practice which ultimately supports families and children in our communities.” – Project Worker, Community Service Organisation
Learn more about Evidence Based Programs by clicking this link to see Evidence Based Programs 101
Become an OPEN member its free!
OPEN Member Benefits:
- Regular network forums and events featuring guest speakers and sector-driven discussions
- Networking and collaborative research and funding opportunities between CSOs, research institutions and grant committees
- Access to research and evaluation guidance- online and face to face
- Access to relevant research and evidence, including the monthly Research Review
- Opportunities for data and research projects specific to your organisation
- Opportunities to join Communities of Practice and Interest Groups to share skills and experience including successes, failures and innovations
- Early-bird tickets to events e.g. with visiting researchers, evaluation experts, conferences, workshops and the annual OPEN Symposium.
Register to become a member of OPEN: