Creating Child Safe Organisations in Victoria
All children have the right to grow up in environments that are free from abuse.
That’s why it is the responsibility of every organisation that provides services or facilities for children to implement Child Safe Standards into their daily practices.
Since 2015, the Centre has run over 120 Child Safe training sessions for a diverse range of organisations — from community housing providers to youth theatre groups, early childhood and kindergarten programs and more — and has worked to ensure they have the right systems in place to promote the safety and protection of children.
From 1 January 2023, changes have been in place about who is responsible for regulating the Child Safe Standards.
New laws started on 1 January 2023, which include stronger penalties for organisations that do not comply with the Child Safe Standards.
Currently, the Commission for Children and Young People (CCYP) has power to regulate all organisations that must comply with the Standards and works together with co-regulators (relevant authorities) to do this. These co-regulators are listed on the Commission for Children and Young People’s website. CCYP | Enforcing the Standards Regulators provide information and guidance to organisations to help them comply with the Standards and they also have legal powers to hold organisations to account if they are not complying with the Standards.
Child Safe Standards training at the Centre
The Centre can deliver customised training for your organisation on the Child Safe Standards. This includes:
- Introductory presentation on the new Child Safe Standards
- How to make your organisation child safe
- Strategies for the empowerment and participation of children and young people in your organisation
- Understanding the Reportable Conduct Scheme
The Centre is able to support your organisation to review current policies, procedures and activities to ensure you are compliant with the new Child Safe Standards by 1 July 2022. If you are a stand-alone centre or only a small organisation, we are able to develop projects with several groups working together to be more cost effective.
The services we can provide are:
- An implementation strategy to be able to demonstrate compliance with the new Standards by 1 July 2022
- An internal audit including a risk matrix, to determine whether your organisation is child safe
- A gaps analysis – specifically aimed at determining what needs to be done in your organisation to become compliant
- eLearning modules which can be tailored for your organisation and/or used as part of your induction process
For more information, please contact email@example.com