Research and Submissions
The Centre’s Social Policy and Research team conducts policy analysis, prepares submissions and undertakes research to advance the rights and wellbeing of children and families. We use evidence to inform our work and influence government policy, advance the goals of the child and family services sector, and advocate for change to benefit those who need it most.
Below you will find a selection of the team’s work, including submissions, research, policy analysis and policy statements, and report summaries and fact sheets to assist the work of our sector.
Primary Centre contact: Dr Michele Lonsdale
Director of Social Policy and Research
Want to stay up-to-date with the latest research relevant to our sector? Sign up to our monthly Research Review.
The Centre and FamilyCare conducted a survey in May and June 2019 to gather information from child and family services practitioners about the impact of social security policy on single mothers and their children. We received 169 responses and found that:
- These families are routinely in financial crisis directly linked to the design and delivery of the social security system
- This is having significant impacts on the ability of state-funded services to meet their needs.
An overview of the survey findings can be found here.
The findings were presented by David Tennant (CEO, FamilyCare) and Kelly Bowey (Senior Policy and Research Officer) at the Australian Social Policy Conference on 9 September 2019.
You can listen to David Tennant discussing these findings on ABC RN Life Matters (2 October 2019).
Policy analysis and position statements
- Raise the age of criminal responsibility position statement (May 2020)
- Royal Commission into Victoria’s Mental Health System interim report statement (November 2019)
- Royal Commission into Victoria’s Mental Health System interim report analysis (November 2019)
- Strengthening the Orange Door position paper (October 2019)
- End offshore processing brief (October 2018)
- Response to the Productivity Commission’s Inquiry into competition and informed user choice in Human Services final report (April 2018)
- Children in immigration detention position paper (February 2016)
Report summaries and fact sheets
- Report on Government Services 2022 – Report Summary
- Child protection Australia 2019-20 – report summary (May 2021)
- Report on Government Services 2021 (child protection and youth justice services) – report summary (January 2021)
- Child protection Australia 2018-19 – report summary (March 2020)
- Report on Government Services 2020 (child protection services) – report summary (January 2020)
- Australia’s children: In brief – report summary (December 2019)
- Royal Commission into Victoria’s Mental Health System interim report summary of recommendations (November 2019)
- Status Resolution Support Services (SRSS) – fact sheet (October 2019)
- Child and youth mental health – report summary (June 2019)