- This event has passed.
Aboriginal Cultural Awareness Training (RCLDS)
Thursday June 15, 2023, 9:30 am - 1:00 pm
This workshop is designed to help residential care workers gain knowledge and skills to have a greater understanding of Aboriginal culture.
This interactive session over 3.5 hours will provide opportunities for open discussion.
- Have a greater understanding of the history and past events which shaped the way in which Aboriginal communities have evolved to adapt in today’s society.
- Gain an understanding of where Aboriginal populations reside and the types of conditions that exist in Aboriginal communities, both rural and urban.
- Understand the value system of Aboriginal people, grief and loss, the role of Elders and cultural beliefs and hierarchy.
- Know how racism and stereotyping of Aboriginal people still affects people in today’s society.
- Have a better understanding of how to break down barriers and how to work effectively with Aboriginal community agencies and individuals.
Trainer Bio: Josh Wanganeen
Josh Wanganeen is VACSAL’s Aboriginal Cultural Awareness lead trainer and Certificate IV in Community Services course facilitator. Josh is a proud Yorta Yorta, Kokitha, Kauna, Narungga man and father of three. Josh completed a Diploma of Community Services Work in 2012 and is now completing a double degree in psychology and sociology. Josh was an intensive caseworker and managed the Aboriginal Centre for Males for two years and completed his Certificate IV in TAE in 2015.
CLICK ON THE EVENT NAME BELOW TO SEE WHAT DATES ARE AVAILABLE
AND TO ACCESS THE RESOURCES