- This event has passed.
Aboriginal Cultural Awareness Training for TCP Practitioners (West Division)
Monday March 6, 9:30 am - 1:00 pm
This workshop is designed to help practitioners gain knowledge and skills to have a greater understanding of Aboriginal culture. This interactive session over 3.5 hours will provide opportunities for open discussion.
- Have a greater understanding of the history and past events which shaped the way in which Aboriginal communities have evolved to adapt in today’s society.
- Gain an understanding of where Aboriginal populations reside and the types of conditions that exist in Aboriginal communities, both rural and urban.
- Understand the value system of Aboriginal people, grief and loss, the role of Elders and cultural beliefs and hierarchy.
- Know how racism and stereotyping of Aboriginal people still affects people in today’s society.
- Have a better understanding of how to break down barriers and how to work effectively with Aboriginal community agencies and individuals.
Trainer Bio: Josh Wanganeen
Josh Wanganeen is VACSAL’s Aboriginal Cultural Awareness lead trainer and Certificate IV in Community Services course facilitator. Josh is a proud Yorta Yorta, Kokitha, Kauna, Narungga man and father of three. Josh completed a Diploma of Community Services Work in 2012 and is now completing a double degree in psychology and sociology. Josh was an intensive caseworker and managed the Aboriginal Centre for Males for two years and completed his Certificate IV in TAE in 2015.