- This event has passed.
RCLDS – Understanding and responding to challenging behaviours
Wednesday April 21, 2021, 1:00 pm - 4:00 pmFree
This training is only available to residential care workers in Victoria.
The workshop is designed to help residential care workers understand the behaviours of concern that are often shown by young people, it is an evidence-based approach in supporting young people to manage these behaviours, focusing on challenging behaviours that can impact a young person’s communication and learning needs
- The links between stress and mental illness
- Symptoms of depression
- Supporting young people experiencing depression
- Development of personality, and the effects on this of neglect
- The brain’s role in explosive behaviour, and de-escalation
- Teaching young people to self-regulate and de-escalate
- Helping young people who have experienced trauma
- Supporting young people to change their behaviour
- Carer and worker self-care
- Identify behaviours of concern
- List the symptoms of depression, and holistic support options
- Explain the possible effects of neglect on a young person’s personality
- Discuss the need for regulation of arousal levels
- List strategies to help young people regulate their arousal
- Implement the principles of multi-sensory de-escalation with young people
- List activities to assist young people in healing the traumatised brain
- Implement the ABC model of behaviour management
- Discuss the importance of, and strategies to maximise, consistency in changing behaviours
- Explain the importance of self-care in people who care for young people
- List strategies to maximise self-care practices
Further Information about Your Booking:
If the session is booked out
Add your name to the waiting list. If a place becomes available, we will contact you, inviting you to register, if you are unable to respond quickly we will move to the next person on the list
Where will I find the link to join the session?
We will email you a calendar invitation with the Zoom link a few days before the training date once registrations have closed.
- Please use your work email when registering as we will only be sending the link to participants who are eligible.