Today’s media update focuses exclusively on the Ombudsman’s report on child protection in the Loddon Mallee region that was tabled in the Victorian Parliament on Tuesday 25 October.
The Ombudsman found "a practice has developed where the drive to meet numerical targets has overshadowed the interest of children despite evidence that they may be at risk".
Centre CEO Dr Lynette Buoy and Professor Cathy Humphreys were interviewed about the Ombudsman’s findings for Wednesday’s edition of ABC Radio National AM (see link below).
Your comments are most welcome and can be made here using our comment form (anonymously, if you wish). All comments are moderated before they appear.
- Investigation regarding the Department of Human Services Child Protection program (Loddon Mallee Region), Ombudsman Victoria, October 2011
- Children’s safety must come before good numbers, Centre media release, 25 October 2011
- Report slams child protection system, ABC TV News Victoria, 25 October 2011
- State fails again on child abuse, The Age, 26 October 2011
- Ombudsman accuses child protection of distorting figures, ABC Radio National AM, 26 October 2011
- Child protection policy put children at risk, says acting Ombudsman, Herald Sun, 26 October 2011
- DHS failed Loddon Mallee children, Bendigo Advertiser, 26 October 2011
- We need more on DHS findings, Bendigo Advertiser, 26 October 2011
- DHS hits back at claims, Bendigo Advertiser, 27 October 2011
To catch up on the Centre’s media updates you can browse the site anytime, bookmark the media updates page, subscribe by email, or subscribe to our media updates RSS news feed (what’s that?) in your newsreader. Please feel free to publicise this service to your colleagues.
If you become aware of a media issue you think calls for a response by the Centre, please use our contact form, including "media issue" in the subject line.