Today’s media update leads with a contentious VCAT decision on working with children regarding an adult who, as a child, was placed on probation without conviction and ordered to undertake a sex offender treatment program. Sentencing, investing in the early years, and social media for at-risk youth also feature.
Please note that inclusion of articles in the media scan does not necessarily imply Centre endorsement of their content. Our aim is to spark robust but respectful discussion of issues.
Your comments are most welcome and can be made here using our comment form (anonymously, if you wish). All comments are moderated before they appear.
VCAT decision on working with children
- Child-sex offender can work with kids, Herald Sun, 13 October 2011
- Read the VCAT decision, AUSTLII, 4 October 2011
- View of justice system ‘shaped by agendas’, The Age, 13 October 2011
Investing in early years
- Investing in childhood: The progress and the pitfalls, Inside Story, 25 August 2011
Social media and at-risk youth
- Using Facebook and other social media to reach troubled kids, ABC News Radio, 13 October 2011 (Audio)
To catch up on the Centre’s media updates you can browse the site anytime, bookmark the media updates page, subscribe by email, or subscribe to our media updates RSS news feed (what’s that?) in your newsreader. Please feel free to publicise this service to your colleagues.
If you become aware of a media issue you think calls for a response by the Centre, please use our contact form, including "media issue" in the subject line.