- This event has passed.
Understanding and Providing Support to Children and Young People With Autism (RCLDS)
Friday June 30, 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
This workshop looks at the Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) practically, developing an understanding of what ASD is and the types of ASD, looking at the challenges faced by individuals with ASD and secondary challenges that may present. The workshop also explores how as a worker, you can support a young person with ASD by understanding the impact of sensory processing differences and how a person with ASD engages with the environment. Helping you recognise the different thinking styles that autistic people have and how to support them through basic support strategies.
- What is autism spectrum disorder is and how it affects a person’s behaviour.
- Overview of an Autism diagnosis.
- Understand how sensory processing differences impact on a person and how they engage with the environment.
- Recognise the thinking styles that autistic people have and where support may be required.
- Identify and apply basic support strategies to assist autistic people.
- Improve knowledge and understanding about the diagnosis of ASD.
- Investigate ways to engage students with high impact and applied strategies.
- Empowering clients to identify, know and grow their strengths.
- Confirm and consolidate and share your practice.